The holidays are HERE and that means it’s time for something festive & warming (for both the belly and the soul). I just loooove baking this time of year. There’s something extra-cozy about the oven warming up the kitchen and filling your home with scents of cinnamon and cardamom and all the warm, comforting smells.
But, doing so without ingredients or recipes that cause a crazy sugar spike (and crash) that sends our blood sugar into frenzy mode and starts a cravings cycle that’s hard to stop. I’m all about simple, uncomplicated, quick, nutrient-dense real foods that are infused with the energy of joy & eating intentionally.
… yes, even when making holiday treats! Actually, especially when making holiday treats.
So today I’m sharing a cookie and baking recipe round-up, full of easy-to-swap ingredients that work best for YOUR body. These are all goodies you can make easily AND be proud of, excited about and feel so good about serving to others.
These recipes will help you feel & operate at your best (even when life is busy), and empower you to be the owner of your life, how you feel, your energy & mood EVERY SINGLE DAY…. which, we all need during the holidays especially, yes?
Actually, these are recipes that can help you to change old (stale) generational patterns with eating (especially this time of year) & upgrade them to more life-boosting ones.
Yup. Really! It starts with choosing ingredients intentionally, thoughtfully, and from real sources. Even when making holiday cookies.
So let’s get into some of the best, real-food-based holiday baking treats to make this holiday season!
11 healthy holiday cookie & baking recipes
The simplest holiday baking treats and cookies for you to fill your home and kitchen with some extra warmth and love this season!
- Gluten-Free Holiday Shortbread Cookies: A simple shortbread cookie made the old-school way of slicing a tube of dough into rounds and baking! Also a perfect cookie to decorate with fun holiday shapes using cocoa powder or natural sprinkles!
- Gluten-Free Molasses Ginger Cookies: These cookies are perfectly chewy with just the right amount of sweet and holiday spice.
- GF Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: Okay, YES, these are amaaaazing for nursing mamas to boost supply, but you don’t need to be lactating to love them. Trust. They’re simple but perfect choc chip cookies.
- Chocolate Chip, Cocoa Nib + Olive Oil Cookies: Hear me out, swapping in olive oil instead of butter is a GAME CHANGER for cookies! It doesn’t make them taste olive-y or like a salad dressing, but it adds this subtle richness that is to die for. You need to try these (and throw a couple on Santa’s cookie plate, too).
- Honey-Butter + Oatmeal Cookies (GF): Crunchy and juuuuust sweet enough, these are the easiest and SO beyond good.
- Peanut Butter Cookies: Y’all, we’re going back in the archives here to 2013, but it’s #worthit. Zero sugar or flour is in these cuties yet they are DIVINE.
- GF Raspberry Jam Dot Cookies: These may be my very favorite cookies….. ever. K so full disclosure, I’m really not a huge sweets gal, but these get me. Every time. They’re melt-in-your-mouth good and usually only last in our house 2 days max.
- GF Strawberry Shortcakes: If you’re less of a cookie fan, these shortcakes aren’t just a summer treat. Top with fresh whipped cream and *chef’s kiss*.
- Molten Chocolate Olive Oil Cake: Kyle’s favorite thing I make, and a crowd pleaser for any holiday event you might be hosting or attending!
- The Blueberry Morning Baby Cake: Note: not just for babies! I made this for Noah’s 1st birthday cake but it’s been a staple around our house ever since (for little and big humans).
- Flourless Carrot Cake Muffins: Miniature-sized carrot cakes will forever be a happy thing in our household. So good any time of day!
Looking for even more recipe ideas & a more intentional way to eat this coming year?!
The Cooking Club is here to save your weeknights, and it has a FULL HOLIDAY SECTION! With automatic shopping lists, filters for all foods and sensitivities and a meal planning tool all built in, you can spend less time (and money) on food, and yet eat the healthiest you ever have. Check out all the details here!