Note: This is a a long and deeply personal post, that I ended up turning into a little series. On starting, creating and continuing to be get out of my own way. Aka, spiritual growth, and what that really means. The real, un-edited version.
PART 3: 14 Ways To Tell If You’re Ready for GROWTH:
So, this past week and a bit, I’ve been sharing my little journey into one of the biggest, but most ignored parts of being a healthy human– your spirit. And inner world.
It’s so much more personal and touchy it seems, than any of the other categories (physical health, mental health and emotional health). At least, for me, as I’ve started to share the parts of my journey more openly.
But one thing is for sure- there is no ONE RIGHT WAY to grow that inner self and sweet little soul that lives inside you.
All that matters is that you find ONE WAY to get in tune, find your intuition and instincts on things, and don’t rely on only yourself in this beautiful life.
But it is a journey.
And it does have to be initiated, and taken care of in some senses. Nurtured. Explored. And cared for. And not taken for granted.
I mean, for real– no one wakes up just magically having it all figured out, and able to tune in and create and manifest their dreams, and other amazing things in life. NO. ONE. It’s a life skill that we have to learn (if we want a magical life).
For most of us, at some point in our lives, this quiet little– and often ignored–part of our lives gives us a message.
Like helllllllooooooo? Is anyone in there? We need some haaaalp. Usually, it’s in some kind of transition in life, where you need a little boost, or help, or you aren’t exactly sure what to do next. And how to figure those bigger questions out.
So, earlier this week, I shared with you all, the start of my own spiritual and inner journey (beyond what my family taught me, and what my friends were doing around me).
Because the first year that you dig in to this stuff, A LOT of whoa happens.
But, the more interesting part to me, seems to be how much continues to happen, the more I lean into it, and the more I spend time feeling out of my comfort zone, and more truly in line and connected to my spiritual and personal growth side.
So now, 6 years later, it’s safe to say I’ve seen and experienced some amazing gifts because of this little journey I’ve leaned into. Like crazy, beautiful stuff, the stuff I once could only dream about:
- My business (that it got started in the first place, and more importantly has been sustained through so many mental ups and downs, to the amazingness and ease of where it is now)
- My husband seemingly appearing in my life at the exact perfect time, after daily prayer for someone who would make me feel the way I wanted to feel in a partnership and love.
- The first house and kitchen that gave me the space to create the 1st cookbook
- The Simply Real Health Cookbook in general, on a path all it’s own
- The second cookbook (in the works and with some BIG news to share about it soon!).
- Be able to traveling to beautiful places I never thought I’d go to
- My mastermind business soul sisters who appeared out of nowhere when I needed it the most
- Meeting my BIG time mentors in person in a one on one setting each time to give them a hug (Marie Forelo first, and then Gabby— twice, and now Jenna Kutcher, who’s bigger mastermind I’m in now)
- Another big, exciting secret I’ll be sharing soon..
I can’t make this stuff up, and even writing it down I have slight pings of panic that you’re reading this as “oh… my life is so great. It’s so perfect. I have it alllllllll. “
But that’s not what I’m trying to say.
These things are meaningful to me, because I dreamed them, prayed for them, envisioned them (and the feelings I’d have), long before they were real. They are signs of bigger things for me, each of them. And they took a lot of intention and love to create into life.
So, what I really mean in this: is that everyone has tough stuff in life that they have to work through. Internally with ourselves, and externally with our circumstances in life. It’s truly different for everyone.
But, make no mistake: we all have sh*t to work through.
But it’s the people that learn to tune in, dig deep, and find a way to work through it, and then let go and rise above– to live the life of your dreams–those people live BIG, juicy lives.
It’s LIFE CHANGING. Or, it has been for me, and every person that I look up to, admire, and consider some of the most successful people I know (in their relationships, their finances, their work in the world, their families, etc).
So today, I wanted to share some advice.
Of the things that I’ve learned personally on this 6 year windy little path– imperfectly trying and testing and learning.
Being stalled and frustrated, and then just as often with breakthroughs and circumstances that have left me in a puddle of my own happy tears, and so thankful that I did this deeper, inside work.
I so fully believe that this stuff matters so much to the trajectory of your life. But, there are a few things I wish I knew, going into it, that would have made things so much easier.
Why? Because truly, if your own inner guidance system isn’t strong, good luck. Nothing else really matters. You need it– it’s like non-optional in my eyes because you have to be strong, grounded and RESILIENT to create big things in this life.
So, my biggest takeaways, though this so-called “spiritual” process. In case any of you can relate, or have big dreams or goals of your own in this life. And in case this is the right timing:
BITS OF WISDOM & ADVICE: WHAT I WISH I KNEW WHEN I STARTED MY JOURNEY TO MY BEST, MOST FULFILLING LIFE:
1. Permission to do the work you want to do in this world, or to make your dreams a reality? Stop waiting for it. The only thing that stands in your way is YOU and your limiting beliefs. Get clear on what those are, so you can release them. It’s worth learning how to do, so you can quickly act when new fears/beliefs pop up….and they will.
2. You don’t and can’t do everything on your own. It’s not weak to ask for help. Tap in. Life is complicated enough. You have such a innate wisdom within you and around you, and the minute you can surrender to this, life comes so much comes easier.
3. Own your own sh*t. We all have it, no one escapes this. But the people who are the most successful in life own it, embrace it, and learn to tell about it as part of their story and journey — it’s not something that festers inside and ultimately holds them back. Let it out so you can live more fully and freely.
4. Meditation and prayer are not the same. But you do need both, in some way that makes sense for you. Meditation = quiet for your inner thoughts to arise. Prayer is a request or question you’re posing back out, and wanting some guidance on. Depending where you are at in your own journey, this may rub you the wrong way. But I’m saying it anyways, because nothing has been more true than getting comfortable with this stuff.
5. Invest in yourself and your growth. Always, and consistently. I learned this from my dear ol’ Dad. You will never regret it, and everytime you do, it will come back to you, ten-fold. It always does. A little tip that I use? If something (an event, program, etc) makes you feel expansive and excited and a little more FREE feeling in it’s potential, do it. If something makes you feel constricted and tight and no, then don’t.
6. When all else fails: ask yourself, am I autopiloting into fear right now? Or am I seeing this with love? This includes in-laws, traffic, people who annoy you, trying a new workout class, eating when you’re not hungry, anxiety, things that haven’t even happened yet, etc.
7. If you have dreams that are floating around in your head, a word of advice? The only way they can come out and LIVE is when you do your own work first. I love what Elizabeth Gilbert says in her book Big Magic, about ideas coming to us, but they can pass us by if we’re blocking it.
8. Instead of wondering if people really care what you have to say, or why you’re different, that there are millions of people who are doing the same thing you dream of doing, think about it like this: if you think you are here to help people or serve the world in any way, it’s a disservice NOT to share and be it.
9. Release, surrender and then take action. Then release, surrender more, and take more action. Start to cultivate a process that helps you do this (this is what I learned most recently in Gabby’ live masterclass a few weeks ago– phenom stuff that WORKS). You need all three of these things in constant rotation– one without the other never works.
10. Creating anything with love- a business, a relationship, a baby, or a dream of any kind, requires doing the hard internal mental work (aka, getting out of your own way and releasing fears and blocks) to get there. But it’s always, always worth it.
11. This isn’t supposed to be easy. It’s why not everyone does it. But those who do kill it because they’re willing to see their fears, own their shit and move forward into greatness.
12. You will go through different phases with your spiritual journey– it’s rarely a steady, same thing every day kind of a thing. It can change with the seasons, with what’s going on in your life, where you are in the world, etc. The important thing is to make it something that feels fun and useful to you. Rules? Who cares. Find your own.
13. Build up your little tool arsenal: online apps (like headspace and calm), guided meditations (videos vs audio only), books, podcasts, mala beads, different kinds of yoga classes, writing, setting intentions, goals, visions & dreams. All of it. The more you know about, the more options you have to lean into.
14. Find a community. Find your peeps that are also willing to learn and grow with this stuff. It’s powerful and so helpful through this process. And are some of the most treasured people in life that you will meet for their honesty, depth, faith, trust and great energy.
So, what about those of you reading this, that are ready to take the jump? Or, at least, start the process?
Like I said, Gabby has been a huge teacher of mine, so for many years.
Her work has been one of the things that took my business from crazy one-woman-circus to a beautiful and inspiring life, that just keeps seeming to get better and gorgeously expand with time.
I’ve gotten to meet her three times now, in person: the first at a Lululemon Ambassador retreat, the second at her live Spirit Junkie Masterclass last June, and then another more intimate retreat this past Fall. I thought that maybe it would be disappointing. When someone has a HUGE impact on your life from afar, it can be a lot of pressure to live up to.
But, take my word for it. The woman is pure magic. A healer, a teacher of the best kind (that tells her own authentic stories of struggling, falling into judgment, still needing to always continue to learn these lessons like the rest of us humans). Oh, and so funny.
And with an ability to speak truth and words that zing your heart faster than you know what’s happening. So that you can’t keep playing small anymore, no matter the area of life.
I tell you all of this, in case you’re getting that “OMG, YES, I NEED MORE OF THAT” in your gut, like I did, here’s something awesome to know:
Her program registration for the at-home version of the exact masterclass weekend I did last year opens today, and closes real quick again next Thursday, on June 21st.
It’s literally the only time of the year it’s available. One time, every year.
And there’s something else I want you to know.
I never promote anything. I don’t even allow ads on my blog (never have). Because I hate it. It feels so salesy and weird to me. But, this is something so different.
I truly believe in this program’s life-changing power so wholeheartedly. And in spiritual growth and in investing in yourself in this capacity, because of how much it can change and shift everything else.
I’ve done it myself (twice now). I’ve met so many amazing people through the process, and have heard their stories too.
They still make me cry, and continue to motivate me, through all the ups and downs this crazy journey can bring.
I know that Gabby Bernstein is one of the most giving, generous, heart of gold, and by far, one of the smartest, fiercest women I’ve ever known, and her advice is always so honest, so right and so whipsmart. In a gut instinct way, in a serving way, and in a I’m-gonna-kindly-push-you-and-call-you-out-in-just-the-right-way, when you need it most.
Swearing and all, this spiritual little fierce queen.
I also know, that if you’re ready, there’s a reason you’re reading this post. You’ve been guided here.
I have chills, just writing that.
I know, because I was the same way.
So, last year, I asked if I could partner with Gabby and help guide a small group through her program, mentor style. (Like what?! Dreams do come true, see?) It’s an honor, and something I don’t take lightly.
It also means that anyone who takes the jump and says yes to this masterclass course through me, gets access to a private bonus coaching group with me. With all the things I wish that I had, when I went through these immense periods of growth myself, including:
- two private group coaching calls during the program
- one 20 minute private one-on-one coaching call with me
- a free gift of the Spring Meal Plan or (so you can focus on the bigger stuff)
- a magical community of like-minded women with the same kind of big dreams and goals for their life (that will exist forever!)
- a list of my favorite resources, tools, and tips (aka, #woowoobookclub and more)
- help, love & support throughout the entire process via email
And it’s totally free, doesn’t cost anything extra for you, and is included when you register here.
It’s my way of giving back and trying to spread this light into more lives.
With all the stuff that’s happened in the news lately, this inner work is just so needed. We ALL need it.
I’m doing this, because truly it has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself. To get out of my own way, to release the things that could have kept me stuck for YEARS, and to take some kick-ass action and ownership of my own life.
And designing and creating and being guided in my life, exactly in the ways that it feels best. It’s all there, and all a part of it.
So, in doing so this year, not only will I become a little mentor to all my spirit ladies through the experience, but way beyond. A little community of mindful women (and men) on a mission for their best lives, and to change their own corner of the world.
I want to create that, and be there to help and support and hold space for some big shifts to happen.
To help, guide and hold your hands through the process, no matter where you are in your own creation (and expansion) process.
So you can stand on my shoulders. To go for your dreams. And have all the support and love and tools that you need to make it happen.
Oo wee, it gives me chills to think about.
More women with their life on fire. Living their truths and dreams in big way. YES please.
All the details, more info & FAQ’s about Gabby’s at-home Masterclass program can be found here.
Or some other amazing, real-life stories of people who have done this program too, here.
And if you haven’t watched her free video training before it disappears, catch up here.
Questions or comments or not sure if this is the right fit for you? Leave them below, send me a message on social @simplyrealhealth, or send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m happy to answer any and all.
Photos by Talitha Bullock (and me)