Can we talk about skin protection for a hot sec? And I don’t just mean from the sun, although it’s important to be smart about that. I mean educated protection from all things harmful (like the chemicals and so many toxic ingredients in most conventional sunscreens).
Because if you ask me, protecting your skin from the sun by slathering it with chemicals and toxins that absorb right into your skin and bloodstream is *sorrrrta*un-doing the whole point of what you’re trying to accomplish.
It’s inefficient. And we alllll know how I feel about efficiency. 🙂 We just don’t have time for it, TBH (all of us!).
But truth— most conventional sunscreens are filled with fake fragrances, hormone-damaging chemicals and toxins that I don’t even want to try to pronounce, let alone hear the laundry list of side effects.
Did you know that’s why most pediatricians recommend not even using sunscreen on babies until they’re at least 6 months old? Of course, they don’t want your baby out in the sun for hours completely unprotected, but they’d rather babies have some limited exposure to the sun rather than absorb sunscreen chemicals into their easily penetrable skin at such a young age.
Here’s the thing, babies aren’t the only ones we need to protect. All of our skin absorbs what we put on it— lotions, makeup, personal care items, perfumes, deodorant, etc…. These products enter our bloodstream through the skin (aka the biggest organ in our body), and those ones with harmful chemicals can affect so many other areas of our health, like hormones (especially so), gut, energy levels, create cell mutations that can cause a number of different cancers and autoimmune problems and more when used regularly.
Luckily, there are such better options on the market now, so that you can have both: protecting your skin from aging and sun damage AND doing so without exposing yourself to hundreds of chemicals baking into your skin and pores.
Our skin is the biggest organ in the body, and long summer days outside can have a big impact, so let’s not add to it with one more thing, yeah? I promise, your skin will thank you when make the switch to more non-toxic (but super effective) natural sunscreens!
Your skin will thank you. Your body will thank you. And your health will thank you later.
My favorite natural sunscreens:
- All Good Sport Sunscreen: It’s SPF 30 and I love that it’s water resistant for long days on the water and being outside in the heat of summer!
- Cocokind Daily Sunscreen: This is a GREAT budget option for daily SPF for your face. It’s SPF 32 (random but I appreciate the specificity!), totally clean and mineral based to help protect from sunburn and early aging.
- MY FAVORITE for face SPF with a slight tint & coverage: this Ilia Serum SPF. Literally the perfect combo of a natural SPF 40 and a little color for coverage, I wear this almost daily in the summer. (I use the color Paloma).
- Josh Rosebrook Nutrient Day Cream: I like this for a more “luxury” natural face sunscreen option and it comes both tinted and untinted for light coverage if you need it. It’s SPF 30 and is perfect for when you’re dressing up during the day (outside wedding szn, anyone?).
- Love Sun Body Mineral Sunscreen: Mmmmm, this one SMELLS like vacation (but without the phony, fake fragrances). It’s water resistant and SPF 30.
- Suntegrity Mineral Sunscreen Unscented: If you prefer no scent, this is the one for you. It’s a natural mineral sunscreen with SPF 30, made with non-nano zinc oxide, green tea leaf extract, and sunflower seed oil.
- Naturopathica Calendula Essential Hydrating Lotion: This is a multitasker which we LOVE. It’s a moisturizing face lotion, SPF 30 sunscreen and amazing for anti-aging and hydration. Definitely worth the price to have an all-in-one product.
- Think Baby Sunscreen: For your littles (over 6 months of age) who you want to protect from the sun (and scary chemicals in other sunscreens). This one has super clean ingredients and SPF 50+!
- Alba Kids 45+ Sunscreen: this is a great, easily accessible brand (you can find it in Whole Foods & Amazon and a lot of grocery stores now). It’s not 100% the cleanest but it is affordable and without all the scary scary chemicals. They also have a great sport spray for more active activities (Kyle loves this one).
Love this post and want to keep educating yourself? Check out my favorite recommended non-toxic & natural products here, in these posts:
Deodorant (see post here)
Makeup & Beauty (see post here)
Skincare (see post here)
Haircare (see post here)
Household cleaning (see post here)
The Simply Real Baby Food Files Are HERE!
Help your baby learn to love healthy real foods, develop advanced taste-buds, reduce any food allergies down the road and help build their immune system and gut in such a strong way for the rest of their life…..all made EASY (yes, truly). This guide walks you through exactly what to feed your baby (and when and why), from 4 months onward! Download your copy here and save yourself a year’s worth of research and time. I’ve got you, mama!