I can *never* get enough of summer. The extra sunshine. The longer days. The beach trips. The walks with flowers blooming all around. The bustling trips to the farmer’s market. The FOOD.
Oh, the food. That alone makes me giddy once we start inching away from the soggy spring in the PNW and getting closer to warm, sunny summer days. (Or, at least sunnier, for the most part.)
I am forever fangirling over summer produce, and trying to use it up as much as I can when it’s fresh and in season. Last year that = me even working on my green thumb and planting my own little backyard garden with greens and tomatoes galore. (Going to attempt again in our new place this summer!)
And, it always means lots of trips to the farmer’s market to stock up on all the freshness I can get my hands on: herbs, tomatoes, corn, avocados, summer squash, greens, peaches, and any other summer produce. Ahhhh. Pure heaven, every single year.
If you’re looking for ideas for what to make this summer, I’m sharing 10 of the best (healthy) summer recipes today, to use your summer produce treasures in and eat vibrantly all season long. These are the freshest, easiest, and most flavorful summer recipes that we always have on repeat in our home, and I hope they become staples in yours, too!
For even MORE summer dish inspo, and an easy way to cook, meal plan, and create your shopping list, you can always join the SRH Cooking Club for a simplified approach to cooking, shopping & meal planning. (Bonus: the thousands of included recipes are all organized by style, season, and preferences so you can easily sort all the summer goodness there to find!) Learn more here!
The 10 best (healthy) summer recipes
1. The Summer Picnic Poblano Salad— if you’ve been around here for a while you KNOW this is my summertime jam. Easy, fresh, full of colorful veggies… just so good! (Pictured above.)
2. The REAL Greek Salad— notes for this recipe were taken from a trip to Greece a few years ago….. like this is the real deal Greek salad, the way native Greeks actually make it. With rich olive oil, herbs on herbs, crispy fresh vegetables. The works, & the best.
3. The Baja Chopped Caesar Salad— my summertime addiction, all summer, every summer. Simple ingredients & flavorful homemade but EASY dressing. It’s better than any caesar you’ll get in a bag, promise.
4. Pesto Chicken Veggie Bake— if you get a rare cooler summer evening where you’re okay with turning on the oven, THIS is the recipe you need to try. Fresh & filling with a vibrant pesto to give that yummy basil garlic kick.
5. Coconut Corn Chowder— call me crazy but I LOVE a good chilled summer soup. This one is bright and light, but also smoky? It has kinda everything going for it, and a great way to use up all the summer corn that’s on sale right now.
6. Watermelon Cucumber Gazpacho— you guys, I know it sounds a biiiit weird? But this cool watermelon and cuc soup is the GOAT of my summer dish lineup! I make it for a refreshing app or a light lunch and it’s SO good.
7. The Ultimate Farmer’s Market Salad— is there anything better than a warm summer day at the farmer’s market? Make this fresh salad with all the goodies you pick up at your local one.
8. Peach Avocado & Pesto Salad— I caaaan’t get over this combination, so good! Peaches are a nonnegotiable staple for summer, imo.
9. Salmon Nicoise Salad w/ Daily Basil Dressing— mmmmm, I love a good nicoise and this one does NOT disappoint. The simple basil dressing makes it.
10. Gluten Free Summer Peach Crumble— hack: you can try this with any fruit you love (apples, pears, berries etc.) and it’s just as good! The summer dessert of my dreams.
Want even more summer (& beyond) recipe inspiration?