Let’s talk glowy skin. Like “vacationing in Maui, just took a walk on the beach,” sun-kissed and dewy sort of skin. But minus the actual act of laying out to tan, because this mama is trying to achieve that glow without overly-exposing my skin to the sun and UV rays. Some sunshine is great– early morning sun especially is so great for vitamin d & hormone production, but sitting out in the sun un-protected all day long? Not so much.
Like everything, a little bit — done intentionally– is great. Overdoing it, and you have the opposite effect.
The older I get, the more protective I am about my skin. I’ve always worn natural sunscreen in the summer or on vacation, but in the last 4 years that also means always having a hat on (whether it’s for walks and hikes and being active or a big straw hat for relaxing), sitting in the shade more than sun, and just being more aware of how I’m treating my skin overall.
And the good news? There is so much you can do to still feel that glowy summer way, without being extreme.
Enter some of the best summer beauty finds I know. That are more about skin CARE and love, vs the quick fix of a tan, that can leave aging effects.
And, they’re all non-toxic, natural beauty finds. Because whether you’re adding a little highlighter to your cheeks or applying a sunless tanning lotion to your full body, what you put on your skin matters. It goes deeper than the skin, and affects everything else about your health.
It’s true. These products don’t just sit ON the skin. They absorb into your body, into your bloodstream, and into your cells because our skin is the biggest living organ on our bodies. It is constantly absorbing everything we put on and in it. So whatever you are doing topically, affects your hormones deeply. And your overall health deeply. And everything from your skin health and even your gut, immune system, and reproductive system.
I wrote more about this here, when I talked about why I think every woman should make the switch to natural deodorant. It’s worth a ready if you’re just learning about this.
So… does what we use in our beauty lineup matter? I think you know my answer. 🙂
But these days, as more and more women are getting educated on the topic of clean beauty & skincare, there are a lot of companies out there that claim their products are “clean” or “natural”, but are anything but that when you actually take a look.
And, luckily…. there are also a lot of high-quality, long-lasting natural beauty products out there. For that reason, I stick to a few brands that I know and have heavily researched their ingredients and testing process fully. So that you too can get that glowy summer look…..without any downside. I believe you can have both: to look and feel great, and also to feel great about what you’re putting ON and IN your body, health wise.
My favorite natural summer beauty finds:
01. Light summer tinted serum + spf this is actually more of a skin tint serum that goes on LIGHT but covers what you want it to cover, if ya know what I mean. It also has SPF 40— my fav kind of multitasking. Perfect for lazy, long days outside, weekends at the beach/lake/adventuring when you want to feel more pulled together but not overly so. I wear this most summer days! It took me a few days to get used to the serum idea, but now I’m obsessed. I use the color Paloma.
02.A lighter & perfect foundation for summer: I LOVE this for a little bit fuller coverage when I need it for date night or a long day. Even though it’s a bit thicker and creamier than the tint above, it’s still lightweight and smooth! Plus, infused with aloe. Mmmm, yes please. I use the color Salina.
03. Cheek & lip tint: the prettiest summer tint for your cheeks and lips comes in ONE multi-stick. So good! I love the colors Dreamer, All of Me, and Ladybird….. yes, I own (and use) all of them!
04. Highlighter/glow stick: ooooh, I love using a swipe of this creamy highlighter on my cheekbones, brow bones, and cupid’s bow for a added (subtle) shimmer. I love Summertime for a deeper glow/bronzer like vibe on my cheekbones and forehead and Cosmic Dancer for my browbone and above my lip.
05. A golden, glowy eyeshadow palette: I’m convinced these golden hues look good on EVERY skin tone. Perfect for summer!
06. The perfect summer bronzer: not toooo bronze, but the perfect sun-kissed glow. I wear this every day!
07. The only natural mascara I swear by: and…. I’ve kind of tried them all. This one lengthens and lifts without any weird, dry clumpy action. (You know what I mean.) It’s my go-to, forever and always.
08. A brow gel that doesn’t *feel* like a brow gel: the goal here is filling in the brows and holding them in place, without feeling crunchy or frozen. This natty brow gel is PERFECT. It makes them look fuller and achieves all of the above.
09. This lip whip, omg. It’s the most soothing, nourishing, buttery feel and such a great color that you can keep light or layer for a darker tone. I always want this on my lips! I love the color Jolene.
10. This gloss tinted lip oil. Can you tell I’m obsessed with Ilia? Everything the make is just so good. I love this gloss for daily wear that’s infused with hyaluronic acid for plumping and smoothing, and with a name like Tahiti, I always feel those summer vibes when I do so.
11. The best oil cleanser of all time: the best way to take off all that great sunscreen and summer makeup at the end of the day? This oil cleanser that naturally hydrates the skin (without being overly oily), and removes every particle of substance from the day. All you need is a hot washcloth and this oil for your nigh routine, and I promise you you skin will never look better. It rebalances so much in the skin’s microbiome so it helps prevent acne, breakouts, clogged pores, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation the more you use it. Use the code “simplyrealhealth” at checkout to get 10% off your order.
Body & Hair Products
01. This cure-all spray: it’s a refreshing mist perfect after coming in from a hot day. I spray it everywhere— face, underarms, neck, decolletage— for a soothing burst of energy. And it smells SO good. Try keeping it in the fridge for extra cooling power.
02. This soothing face spray/toner combo: either spray it on your face for a quick refresh anytime of day (in the morning, post-shower, or even in your armpits pre-or post workout) OR dab it onto a cotton pad and use like a toner to get all that summer sunscreen truly off your skin post oil cleansing at night. The uses are endless, the smell is addicting and with apple cider vinegar, this spray truly helps balance your skin’s microbiome in the best way. It’s a gift to your skin! Use the code “simplyrealhealth” at checkout to get 10% off your order.
03. A natural sunless tanner: I love that this is a lotion— it goes on smooth, acts as a moisturizer, and darkens over time for a subtle but pretty tan, minus the crazy chemicals in most sunless tanners!
04. A leave-in conditioner for dry ends: hot weather + pool or beach water + the sun = sad, dry hair. This always revives my hair and makes it lush and soft again.
05. Leave-in frizz tamer: does anyone else’s hair freak/frizz out in warm and humid weather? This spray saves mine from poofing out of control during the summer months!
06. The only natural deodorant that’s ever actually worked for me: Truly, truly. The most basic and necessary summertime staple with ingredients you can pronounce, no scary aluminum or chemicals in it, and stuff that actually works. Read my full post here on the best ways to transition from a conventional deod to natural and your health will thank you! I love the unscented, tea-tree, and lavender versions. Use the code “simplyrealhealth” at checkout to get 10% off your order.
Need some more self-love in your life?
Grab my free checklist with 28 self-care ideas organized by 5 minutes, 20 minutes, or an hour!