Yep, it’s official— the holidays are around the corner which means it is TIME to get cozy, turn on some good tunes and lean into the things that bring you joy. Like so many other people, this is my favorite time of year to bake. There’s something extra cozy about the oven warming up the kitchen and filling your home with scents of cinnamon and cocoa and molasses.
But if you know me, you know I’m gonna approach holiday baking just like I do everything else— with the GOOD stuff. The SIMPLE stuff. In as REAL-FOOD of a way as possible.
And… without ingredients that cause a sugar spike/crash or that send our blood sugar into a frenzy, starting a cravings rollercoaster all though the rest of the month that’s hard to get off.
For me, it’s all about uncomplicated, quick, nutrient-dense foods that are infused with the energy and joy of the season. Yes, even in baking.
And by the way?! Treats made this way do still taste good AND feel sooo much better to consume than some of the traditional high-sugar, high-additive holiday treats. It’s not about depriving yourself of yummy things— it’s about upgrading them as much as possible. And choosing what you LOVE, and savoring it as a whole experience.
FYI, none of this has to be complicated, either. If you learn one thing from reading my blog or following me on IG, I hope it’s that.
Today, I wanted to share a round-up of some of my holiday cookie and baking favorites, Simply Real Health-style.
Aka, these are delicious homemade goodies, full of healthier REAL FOOD ingredients that won’t send your body/hormones/skin/sleep health into a tailspin. And, they’re easy to make, delightful to share and, yes, still super fun and festive. I mean, that’s what it’s all really about, anyways right?
Delighting in making something with your hands that feels good to consume and serve to others.
These recipes will help you feel & operate at your best (even when life is busy), and empower you to be the owner of your life, how you feel, your energy & mood EVERY SINGLE DAY…. which, we all need during the holidays especially, yes?
So let’s get into some of the best, real-food-based holiday baking treats to make this holiday season!
12 healthier holiday cookie & baking recipes
The simplest holiday baking treats and cookies for you to fill your home and kitchen with some extra warmth and love this season!
- Gluten-Free Holiday Shortbread Cookies: A simple shortbread cookie made the old-school way of slicing a tube of dough into rounds and baking! Also a perfect cookie to decorate with fun holiday shapes using cocoa powder or natural sprinkles!
- Gluten-Free Molasses Ginger Cookies: MY PERSONAL FAVORITES! These cookies are perfectly chewy with just the right amount of sweet and holiday spice.
3. GF Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: They’re simple but perfect choc chip cookies.
4. Chocolate Chip, Cocoa Nib + Olive Oil Cookies: Hear me out, swapping in olive oil instead of butter is a GAME CHANGER for cookies! It doesn’t make them taste olive-y or like a salad dressing, but it adds this subtle richness that is to die for. You need to try these (and throw a couple on Santa’s cookie plate, too).
5. Honey-Butter + Oatmeal Cookies (GF): Crunchy and juuuuust sweet enough, these are the easiest and SO beyond good.
6. Flourless Chocolate Crinkle Cookies: holiday chocolatey perfection, truly.
7. GF Raspberry Jam Dot Cookies: These may be my very favorite cookies….. ever. K so full disclosure, I’m really not a huge sweets gal, but these get me. Every time. They’re melt-in-your-mouth good and usually only last in our house 2 days max. Shown above!
8. GF Strawberry Shortcakes: If you’re less of a cookie fan, these shortcakes aren’t just a summer treat. Top with fresh whipped cream and *chef’s kiss*.
9. Molten Chocolate Olive Oil Cake: Kyle’s favorite thing I make, and a crowd pleaser for any holiday event you might be hosting or attending!
10. The Blueberry Morning Baby Cake: Note: not just for babies! I made this for Noah’s 1st birthday cake but it’s been a staple around our house ever since (for little and big humans).
11. Life Changing GF waffles: these are so delicious and all real-food based! We make these every Saturday.
12. Blackberry Scones (or other seasonal fruit of your choice): Technically not a cookie/dessert, but these little guys are delicious, cozy and dare I say, the perfect Christmas morning (or any winter morning, really) breakfast.
Looking for more healthier holiday baking recipes & a more intentional way to eat this coming year?!
The Cooking Club is here to save your weeknights, and it has a FULL HOLIDAY SECTION!
And today is the LAST DAY of the holiday sale (just $9.99 for monthly or $97 for the YEAR)!
With automatic shopping lists, filters for all foods and sensitivities and a meal planning tool all built in, you can spend less time (and money) on food, and yet eat the healthiest you ever have. Check out all the details and join here before the price goes back up tomorrow!