PURE JOY = Trader Joe’s in the Fall. You’ll find me filling up my cart with the prettiest pumpkin selection, fall-colored bouquets of flowers, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice….. did I mention all the pumpkin?? Mmmm, yes please.
It’s everything to me– and I know I’m not alone. So every fall I do a little round-up-style list– my new favorite healthy finds at Trader Joe’s that I’m stocking up on in our kitchen + pantry this season.
It’s becoming a little annual tradition, a favorite one for me (and I hope you, too)! You can check out my round-ups from 2017 here, 2018 here & 2019 here for even more Trader Joe’s healthy shopping inspo, if you need it! (We skipped 2020 because, well… 2020 had a lot of other things going on. 😉 )
Because as much as this mama likes to peruse locally grown veggies from the farmers market or pick up organic goodies from a specialty grocer, there’s something kind of amazing about Trader Joe’s. I know it’s not the most sustainable option out there, but it’s reliable and they do have a solid amount of gluten-free, organic and other healthy snacks, produce and meal staples.
And that’s something I can get behind. I also love that there’s a TJ’s in pretty much every major city– so you can get healthy things you know you love even if you’re traveling.
But, quick reminder: just because something says “organic” or has a veggie on the label doesn’t automatically mean it’s healthy. I always check package labels no matter what store I’m buying from to make sure things are made with real, whole ingredients that I can actually pronounce (aka, they aren’t full of chemicals).
What we eat becomes what we’re made of– literally, we are what we eat, down to a cellular level. The food we choose fuels our bodies, our muscles, our cellular makeup, our digestion, everything…. so let’s make sure we’re fueling it with REAL stuff. From the earth. Made with intention.
25+ healthy finds at Trader Joe’s
This list is alllll of that– and I did the vetting for you to save you a little time. These are some of my tried-and-true favorite simple staples and snacks, PLUS some new ones, too. So dig in and enjoy your next Trader Joe’s run with these yummy, healthy, SRH-approved goodies!
(Pro-tip: print this list and take it with you for an easy, already-done grocery list next time you hit up TJ’s!)
- Almond beverage– the shelf stable one has surprisingly clean ingredients!
- TJ’s brand whole milk cottage cheese– so good for baby/toddler snacks, too.
- Kerrygold butter– you aren’t living until you try this Irish grass-fed butter. It’s the only kind we buy!
- All their organic produce– TJ’s has *majorly* upped their organic produce game and I am into it! Kabocha squash is a Fall favorite– I use it to make this soup.
- Organic chicken & wild salmon– simple + affordable healthy protein options. Yesssss.
- Boxed falafel mix– I’m not a big “boxed” mix buyer…. but this stuff is surprisingly good and made with clean ingredients!
- Almond flour– a must for GF baking! Muffins, baby cakes, you name it.
- GF praline granola– actually, any of their GF granola. It’s not too high in added sugar and has the best crunch.
- Organic olive oil– obvi.
- Synergy & Healthade kombucha– the best ‘booch brands, imho. You honestly can’t go wrong with any flavor, and sooo good for gut health.
- Dark chocolate covered sea salt almonds– do yourself a favor and add these to your cart asap next time you’re at TJ’s.
- Cauliflower thins mini pizza crust– mini pizzas?! So fun.
- Frozen cauliflower pizza crust– you *could* make your own cauli pizza crust (and I do sometimes) but this is great for a fast option.
- Brown rice & fusilli pasta– I love this for a good GF pasta option.
- Crinkle cut butternut squash– these are so versatile and fun! Use them in soups, in place of pasta noodles or as a simple side dish roasted with some olive oil and s+p.
- Cooked lentils– I don’t mind cooking lentils (esp. in the instantpot, so fast!) but this is a good option when you don’t have time!
- Cooked beets– so yummy in big salads!
- Organic dried mangos– a perfect on-the-go snack (or for travel).
- Dry roasted almonds with salt– mmmm, a favorite over here.
- Raw cashews, raw pecans, pistachios– pretty much…. any of their raw nuts are amazing.
- Dried fruit (unsweetened)– I love how many options they have! So fun to try different ones.
- Jicama wraps– these are such great GF wrap alternatives for lunches.
- Everything but the bagel seasoning– you are not *living* until you try EBTB seasoning. Throw it on roasted veggies, salmon or avo toast for the best flavor!
- Broccoli bites– these have lonngggg been a go-to snack for us.
- Spiced pumpkin seeds (only in the Fall)– I literally stock up on, like, 5 bags of these in the Fall.
- Orange rooibos herbal tea– one of the best and most interesting tea flavors! Super bright and refreshing.
- Pumpkin spice seasoning– this blend is the best warm spices for Fall baking! I always grab a few bottles.
Looking for even more recipe ideas?!
The Cooking Club is here to save your weeknights! Save over 4 hours a week & 192 hours a year of your TIME and ENERGY on figuring out what’s for dinner every night, all fully customized to YOU and your family’s needs. With automatic shopping lists, filters for all foods and sensitivities and a meal planning tool all built in, you can spend less time (and money) on food, and yet eat the healthiest you ever have. Check out all the details here!