Fact: Most people think that being + eating healthier takes “a lot of time”.
So they just don’t really do it. Consistently at least. Because life is busy.
Totally. Me too.
But, I always want to ask them.
“A lot”, like more time than you’re spending now?
Because when you factor in how much time it takes to not eat healthy– more time thinking about food, more time craving food, more stopping for food throughout the day, and more eating of it overall, etc, I tend to disagree.
Actually always disagree. So don’t get me started on it at a cocktail party.
I’m a big picture kind of girl. There are just so many more things to factor in– including not just the time on the clock, but the downstream effects that all of those choices can make in your day. Positively and negatively, depending what they are.
Personally I prefer the more positive ones. Call me crazy. But more positive stuff and less negative is a much better way to live.
And because I personally think it takes about the same amount of time (or less) to make some pretty easy upgrades in your day, today I’m giving you 14 little diddies to try. Things you can do in 5 minutes or less, no matter how busy you are.
14 Ways To Be Healthier in 5 Minutes [Or Less]:
1. Make a green smoothie. With energizing leafy greens, good proteins + healthy fats in one easy to digest form, your body will thank you for hours after. [time commitment: 5 minutes if you’re lollygagging. 2-3 minutes if you have my Green Smoothie Recipe Guide to follow]
2. Make a cup of tea. It has twice the cancer and disease fighting antioxidants as coffee, less intense caffeine. And it won’t stain your teeth as much. [time commitment: 1 minute]
3. Drink a glass of water. Because you probably need more than you’re currently drinking. Just guessing. [time commitment: 1-2 minutes]
4. Use whole milk or real cream in your coffee instead of non-fat or 2%. Eat real food, not processed ones. [time commitment: 5 seconds]
5. Get real with what you’re really feeling. Tune in instead of ignoring it. If you feel stressed, bored, anxious or overwhelmed, close your eyes and feel that feeling in its entirety. Fully. For just a few seconds. Release it. And then you can then move on in your day [time commitment: 10 seconds]
6. Buy the large container or extra head of spinach at the store. Make it a competition to see how many things you can sneak it in throughout the week before it goes bad. [time commitment: 30 seconds]
7. Do a 5 minute morning meditation, prayer, yoga stretches or write a grateful list and naturally feel more balanced for whatever comes your way that day. [time commitment: 5 minutes]
8. Set a timer for 5 minutes. For each minute, do a different exercise (jumping jacks, plank, mountain climbers, lunges, high knees, push-ups, etc) Repeat if you feel more energized after the first round. [time commitment: 5 minutes]
9. Swap 1 piece of fruit for a vegetable instead. [time commitment: 10 seconds]
10. If you’re admiring something about someone, tell them. [time commitment: 5 seconds]. Or, send a text to someone you love just to tell them how awesome they are. [time commitment 5 seconds]
11. Take an entire 5 minutes to eat 1 thing on your plate. Savor. Taste it will all 5 areas of your tounge. Breathe. Set your fork down in between bites. Love the food in front of you. [time commitment: 5 minutes]
12. Drizzle a bit of truffle oil, raw parmesan cheese or fresh chopped herbs on your veggies or salad. Enhance good food so that you love it more and want to eat it more often. Don’t waste this on crap pasta and pizza. Respect your veggies. Eat them and love them. (see # 11) [time commitment: 10 seconds]
13. Replace 1 night of weeknight wine with sparkling water and a lime in a wine glass. Get fancy. Love the act of leisurely sipping something while you decompress, because sometimes that’s all you really need. (see # 5) [time commitment: 30 seconds]
14. Read your ingredient list. On anything you plan to stick in your mouth [time commitment: 10 seconds. If it takes you longer than that, well.. you know. That’s not a great sign.]
If you try any of these, I want to know! Please share it in the comments below and keep the inspiration going by adding some of your own.
Did you enjoy this post? Well, don’t keep it to yourself, pay it forward and share this message with someone you love! Get on our weekly healthy email here, full of amazing tips, easy real food recipes and healthy inspiration. It’s free healthy lovin’, delivered right to your inbox, and always spam free, we promise.
Simply Real Health, Inc is a healthy lifestyle company on a mission to educate, teach and inspire others to live their happiest + healthiest life. Read more about Sarah here.